Tomball Memorial Post

Behind the scenes of AP art

Isabelle Keever, Copy Editor

Creativity, freedom to express what they feel, opportunity to learn and grow as an artist. AP art gives students the space to gain experience and create art for their portfolios.

Unlike Art I, II, and III, students are on their own and have more freedom in what they create.

“It’s so much harder,” senior Allie Pearson said. “The training wheels are off and we have full independence to build our portfolio.”

Pearson enrolled in the class to gain more experience for pursuing art in her future.

“I hope to prepare myself for taking art on the college level,” Pearson said. “I have plans to attend BYU and major in either animation or graphic design.”

Since taking Art I her sophomore year, she has seen herself grow and develop significantly as an artist.

“In Art I it was simply replication of pictures,” Pearson said. “Now I have the skill to fully express my ideas on the canvas.”

Similarly to Pearson, senior Kenneth Nhem is taking art to expand his creativity and capabilities.

“So far I’ve only drawn realistically so I want to use this year to practice more abstract and surreal pieces,” Nhem said.

Though he doesn’t plan on pursuing art as a career, his love for it made taking AP art an obvious decision.

“Drawing is one of my most favorite hobbies,” Nhem said. “I use it to keep my mind off things.”

Over the past three years Nhem has improved his skills and experiments more with different materials.

“I’ve picked up new mediums such as colored pencils and charcoal,” Nhem said. “I’ve also gotten better by adding more details, learning proportions as well as my lights and shadows.”

The class offers the more traditional mediums, like graphite and paint, but it also allows students to explore a newer form, digital art.

“I hope to delve a lot more into digital art and experiment with stylizing,” senior Leah George said.

George has seen her passion for art grow immensely since her first year taking an art class.

“Art has turned from my hobby into something I couldn’t live without,” George said. “The hard work and practice has helped me with technical skill and developing my own style.”

George was accepted to Texas A&M’s visualization program, and hopes to use her knowledge through graphic design.

“My plan is to get into graphics, concept art, or animation in the film industry and maybe game design as well,” George said.

Without the guidelines from other art classes, AP art gives students the materials they need to create what they envision.

“We have all the school’s resources at our disposal,” Pearson said. “AP art is such an amazing opportunity to do all the art you want, the way you want.”

About the Writer
Isabelle Keever, Copy Editor

Hey! My name is Isabelle, and this is my junior year – infamous for tons of homework and stress. I love to travel and hope to go to every continent (aside from Antarctica) in my lifetime. I have a weakness for all things sweet, so baking is a big hobby of mine. Any given weekend, I’m probably baking for friends and family instead of doing doing homework. This is my second year of writing for the newspaper and I’m super excited to help improve and contribute to The Post.

• Behind the scenes of AP art

Fine Arts

Band marches into contest season

• Behind the scenes of AP art

Fine Arts

Percussionists sweep Drums of Fall contest

• Behind the scenes of AP art

Fine Arts

‘Nerding out’ for the first show of the year

• Behind the scenes of AP art

Fine Arts

Banding together to march in uniformity

• Behind the scenes of AP art

Fine Arts

Summer band kicks into high gear

• Fine Arts

Last Night to see Twelfth Night

• Behind the scenes of AP art

Fine Arts

Band Reveals Show Theme

• Behind the scenes of AP art

Fine Arts

Silver Stars Shine their Way into Contest Season

• Behind the scenes of AP art

Fine Arts

Looking Back on Sister Act

• Behind the scenes of AP art

Fine Arts

A Journey Through the Percussion Section

The news site of Tomball Memorial High School
Behind the scenes of AP art