Tomball Memorial Post

Performing through The Sound of Musicals

Allison Greiner, Staff Writer

She confidently walks onto the stage with her head held high, ready to wow the audience with a beautiful piece.  Choir students performed in the Pop Show titled “The Sound of Musicals” Friday, Feb. 1, and Saturday, Feb. 2, in the auditorium. Glowing up the stage were performances from all choir classes as well as soloists.

“It makes me excited every year to be on stage and have fun,” senior Kenzie Faith said.

All pieces they performed are from well-known musicals. 

“I performed in ‘Rent’, ‘Summer Nights’, and ‘The Greatest Show’,” senior Addie Franklin said. “I was excited to see how things came together and how everyone’s hard work paid off.”

All choir classes participated, which includes concert men and women, belcanto, chorale, and chamber choirs.

“This was my fourth pop show and the third one I have choreographed for,” Franklin said.

Compared to previous years, this year’s rehearsals are much more involved. Students worked for over two months before the show.

“This year we have really cranked it up a notch and have put a lot of effort into this rehearsal,” Franklin said. “Because we have such a busy schedule this year, we have only had about three weeks of rehearsal which is half the time we have had in years past.”

In fact, students also put in hours of work outside of class time.

“I have two choir periods, and we rehearsed the entire time in both of those classes,” Franklin said. “We also attended a Saturday rehearsal, two tech rehearsals, soloist rehearsals and also have extra rehearsals added onto in.”

Another facet that differs from years before are the two shows opposed to one, which brought up new challenges for the performers.

“I was nervous about having two shows because this is something the choir has never done. We usually only have one show,” Faith said.

The outfits also played a crucial role in the show since they bring more character to the stage and the performers.

“Each outfit is different for each song because we really want to be able to put on a good show and be in character,” Franklin said. “The costumes are a big part of our performance.”

The Pop Show created memories and experiences that will last a lifetime for students, especially the ones who can say this was their last one.

“I’m so blessed to be able to do what I love with the people I love,” senior Morgan Ross said. “It’s bittersweet that it was my last Pop Show, but I wouldn’t have traded it for the world.”

The news site of Tomball Memorial High School