Art department opens chapter of National Art Honor Society

Isabelle Keever, Copy Editor

Starting next school year, the art department is starting a chapter of the National Art Honor Society. It will replace Art Club, and has requirements like any other honor society does.

For the past two weeks, art teacher Danika Smith and the current Art Club officers have prepped for the coming year.

`    “This program gives kids more accountability,” Smith said. “Adding some structure and high standards will be good for the students.”

Smith had NAHS at the school she previously worked at, and she hopes it gets students more involved here.

“There will leadership roles in the program,” Smith said. “Every student will have to earn credits, lead in functions, and participate in a major project.”

Current Art Club secretary and junior Victoria Chhang took a leading role in beginning the process of forming the chapter.

“I want to spread awareness of art and show that it is something to take seriously,” Chhang said. “Art is not a blow off class.”

One of the biggest hopes for the program is that many students participate, whether they are in art or not.

“There are so many people who actually care but may not have the opportunity to be involved with art through the school,” Chhang said. “This will give them that chance.”

The program plans to help other organizations by making posters and doing face-painting that will serve as point opportunities for the members.

“There will also be two major projects each semester,” Chhang said. “We are thinking about different events for Halloween and an art exhibition at the end of the year.”

The Honor Society is open to all willing to apply, but they must meet grade requirements for acceptance.

“Officers need to either be in an art class, or submit a portfolio,” Smith said.

Last Wednesday the current art club officers held an informational meeting, and just elected officers for the coming year.

“There will be more chances to get involved next year, but we wanted to bring awareness to it as soon as we could,” Chhang said.

Recently elected parliamentarian and junior Carolina Carbajal looks forward to next year and seeing more students become involved in the art department.

“Not everyone can fit four years of art into their schedule,” Carbajal said. “This gives those of us with that issue an opportunity to still be a part of the art community.”