Students score at Region Orchestra auditions

Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior percussionist Baxter Frye placed third chair at the region orchestra audition.

Laurie Carillo

Laurie Carillo

Laurie Carillo

Ore James, Online Editor-in-Chief

Yesterday night, a small group of band students auditioned at Klein Collins High School for the All-Region Orchestra, a highly selective ensemble of top high school band students in the area. Senior piccolo player Madaline Cannon, senior flute player Amber Rogers and junior percussionist Baxter Frye all placed in the orchestra.

The audition is voluntary. Some students choose to participate for the chance to advance to All-Area or to prepare for the All-Region audition in December.

“I literally started crying,” Cannon said. “I really did not expect to make it because I didn’t think my audition was that much better than everyone else’s. I didn’t try to go too fast, I just played as I always do and hoped that would be good enough.”

The orchestra consists of two ensembles, symphony and philharmonic. Frye and Cannon both earned spots in the symphony orchestra, with Rogers placing in the philharmonic orchestra.