Walking in a Winter Wonderland

Walking in a Winter Wonderland

Katie Ann McCarver, Online Editor-in-Chief

Students across the city were shocked late Thursday night and very early Friday morning when Houston witnessed its first true snowfall since the year 2009, with temperatures even dropping below freezing for a brief period of time.

“I had actually fallen asleep,” senior Haley Devine said. “My friend woke me up and said to get out of bed so we could go play in the snow.”

Most people had a lack of sleep that night, choosing to admire the rare snow instead of sleeping and preparing for Friday.

“My first thought when I walked outside was that it had to be a dream,” Devine said. “It was too beautiful.”

Although many students have grown up in Texas and only seen real snow a few times in their lives, it only seems to make it that much more exciting.

“I was most excited that it was snowing so much we could actually play snowball and build Mr Snowman,” Devine said. “I’m definitely a cold weather person.”

Devine was notified about the snow by her friend, senior Leanna Tran, who is used to the cold, having come from Chicago.

“This snow brought back times to me when I was little,” Tran said. “It made me so excited I couldn’t stop jumping.”

Adhering to what proved to be a schoolwide pattern, Tran and Devine coordinated with their friends to meet and play in the snow.

“I stayed up the whole night texting my friends,” Tran said. “We all met up at the school and made a snowman.”