Administration launches senior adoption program

Back to Article
Back to Article

Along with several other teacher-senior pairs, English teacher Tancy Juliano brought a small gift to her adopted senior, Madaline Cannon, to commence the senior adoption program.

Photo by Chloe Carter

Photo by Chloe Carter

Photo by Chloe Carter

Chloe Carter, Staff Writer

Between dealing with “senioritis” and preparing for the next step in their rapidly changing lives, seniors endure much pressure to succeed.

Assistant Principal Natalie Priwer created the Senior Adoption program to relieve some of that stress as students navigate their final year of high school. 

Priwer was inspired by a similar initiative at another school, and officially announced the program on Friday.

“I wanted to bring it here,” Priwer said, “The relationships it helped build was really great for the culture of the school.”

This gives them someone to go to for the motivation, help or encouragement they need.

— Assistant Principal Natalie Priwer

The program allows teachers and administrators to choose specific seniors to ‘adopt’ for the year. Teachers are expected to mentor their adoptees throughout the year by guiding them through educational or emotional stress.

“I want to be the one that they come to should they feel overloaded, upset, or need to vent,” English teacher Tancy Juliano said.

Teachers are also encouraged to assist students with concerns over future endeavors, such as college and career paths.

“Students might need help navigating how to make a resume and how to apply to college,” computer science teacher David Monroe said. “I can show them a lot of information about college that a lot of students don’t know.”

The idea of the program is to supply seniors with a stronger support system.

“This gives them someone to go to for the motivation, help or encouragement they need,” Priwer said. “It’s to make sure seniors don’t give up when they’re so close to graduation.”

A list of every senior’s name was posted in the cafeteria, where teachers lined up to choose students. Seniors were selected on a first-come, first-served basis, and teachers were initially instructed to select three seniors each. 

“We originally had a limit,” Priwer said. “But a lot of teachers wanted more than three kids.”

After every teacher had the opportunity to select three seniors, teachers could choose as many as they liked.

“I adopted eight kids,” Monroe said. “I picked students that might not connect as well with other teachers, but made a connection with me because I feel like they might be more receptive to learning from me.”

The teachers and administrators are looking forward to helping and encouraging the seniors as they make their way into college and adulthood.

“That’s why we’re in education, because we have such a passion to help students at the most crucial time of their lives,” Priwer said. “This is to keep seniors on track, but also to build relationships with the students and to help them feel the love and support from somebody who chose them.”