Preparations for Aquatic Center construction begin, close off parking lot

Back to Article
Back to Article

Architectural rendering of the planned Aquatic Center. Early preparation for the center's construction began on Tuesday.

Tomball ISD

Tomball ISD

Tomball ISD

Avery Lester, Staff Writer

Preparations for construction began on Tuesday with a quarter of the athletics parking lot fenced off to accommodate future construction of a second district natatorium.

The district will build the center as part of phase two of Tomball ISD construction, out of four phases in total. Major construction for the natatorium is tentatively set to begin in February of 2020.

“They are beginning their first round of things,” associate principal Kevin Williams said. “Then they start planting, digging, moving dirt, and then we’ll start seeing major activity at that point.”

There is still room for students to park in the lot. However, problems with space may arise in coming days.

“So far it’s not really affecting me,” junior Cameron Carrola said. “Hopefully, though, they expand because it can get cramped if people are bad parkers.”

Another student anticipating issues is senior Sanna Apolskis.

“Since the back corner of the parking lot has been cut off, many people are taking spots that are usually open,” Apolskis said. “So now it takes longer for me to find a spot than it usually does.”

A night after the fence went up, a storm blew part of it down. This created disruption between drivers as it left empty space that drivers needed to park. The fence may also impact student activities in the athletics wing.

“If soccer, basketball, and baseball are going on at the same time it will affect them,” Williams said.

As of right now, it is not known how long construction fences will stay in the parking lot will last, but drivers can expect additional changes in the lot. Construction in the parking lot is not expected to affect the school’s interior.

“What’s begun right now will not disrupt the educational environment,” Williams said.

Bidding for a construction company to build the natatorium finished in October, with tentative plans to finish the center in August 2020. Community members approved the natatorium in a 2017 bond which included plans for campus expansion, new buses, new junior high and elementary schools and a football stadium, among many other district additions.