Students respond to upcoming free SAT

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students respond to upcoming free SAT

During a tutoring session after school, sophomore Maggie Gray completes a math problem.

Carlos Perez

Carlos Perez

Carlos Perez

Laurie Carrillo, Staff Writer

Starting this school year, school officials will administer an optional state-funded SAT for free on March 4 to all juniors during the regular school day, much like how the PSAT is administered.

Student reaction has been positive and the expected number of test takers in the junior class is in the majority.

“If the test is free, I think more students will want to take it,” junior Kylie Mustachia said. “With a set date in mind, students can prepare for it with their peers.”

Reasons for taking advantage of this opportunity vary by student and range between college preparation and saving money.

“College is really hard to get in to and I want to make sure that I take the SAT first without preparation just to know where I’m at,” junior Julia Bozic said.

Other students view the free SAT as a way to alleviate financial pressure. 

“I already have to pay so much money for AP exams and club fees,” junior Katherine Chao said. “It helps that I have one less thing to worry about.”

On the other hand, some students have chosen not to take the test.

“I’ve been extremely busy lately and I don’t think I can handle another thing on my plate,” junior Gracen Weiser said. “I haven’t decided whether I’m taking the SAT or ACT yet anyway.”

Many students would like to see this opportunity provided for the ACT as well.

“Although you usually only need one score to send to colleges, some people like to send in both but it’s hard to pay for both the SAT and ACT at the same time,” Mustachia said.

Though they will not take the test, some seniors wish they had received a similar oppurtunity.

“I had to pay $50 for mine,” senior Sanna Apolskis said. “It’s still a good stepping stone for the juniors, though.”

Overall, members of the junior class hope that their peers benefit from this opportunity and obtain the scores they desire.

“I hope people prepare more and realize how lucky we are to be able to have this,” Wieser said. “I hope our class gets the most out of this opportunity and reach their goals.”