Finals exemption policy

Ore James, Online Editor-in-Chief

Here are the requirements to exempt spring semester exams (for more information, check page 55 of the Tomball ISD student handbook):

A high school student who achieves “Masters” level on STAAR for all related courses taken during the current year may be exempt from all spring semester exams, provided the student is passing the course for the semester.

Students enrolled in dual credit courses may not exempt the final exam for the college, but they can exempt the high school final for the course.

Students may exempt second semester exams on a course by course basis with these requirements:

For courses with STAAR assessments:

• Achieve “Approaches” or “Met Standard” on the STAAR End of Course test
  • Be passing the course for the semester

For all other courses: Have a minimum of an 85 average for the semester

Additionally, all exam exemptions depend on the following criteria:

• Students can have no more than four absences (excused or unexcused) the first semester in a full year course, and no more than three absences (excused or unexcused) the second semester prior to the day of the exam
  • Attendance hardship cases may be appealed to the Exam Exemption Committee. The hardship appeal forms for exam exemptions may be picked up in the principal’s office beginning April 27, 2020 and returned no later than May 08, 2020.
  • The student must not have more than 10 unexcused tardies or late arrivals for the year.
  • All students must be in attendance on the day of the exam review or they forfeit their exemption.
  • All textbooks must be clear.
  • All outstanding fees must be paid.
  • Students must not have incurred more than two days of ISS assigned for the year. Students who were assigned OSS or AEP during either semester may not be exempt.

Tomball ISD Student Handbook Note: If state assessment scores are not returned by the State of Texas in a timely manner that allows the District to evaluate the success of the individual student, then the 85 average for the semester will apply.

Students who transfer into Tomball ISD in the spring semester are responsible to show proof of attendance, textbook and state assessment records from their previous school. Parents have the right to waive their child’s exemption.