First-time voters cast ballots

Hallie Stewart, Staff Writer

With the 2020 election less than a day away, millions of experienced and first-time voters alike have already casted their ballots, including students like senior Emma Todd.

“I was excited to be able to vote for the first time and be able to get my opinions out, and have a say on who could lead our country. I also believe that it is my civic duty as an American citizen to go out and vote,” Todd said. “People who want their voices to be heard need to vote, especially young people, since we will be the ones to experience change more.”

I do believe that the voter turnout for the 2020 election is greater than the turnout for the 2016 election because of Covid-19.”

— Senior Eva Thor

The voting process can seem intimidating for a new voter. When a person goes to vote during a presidential election, they’re also voting for senate seats, congressional seats, etc.

“I didn’t really know what I was doing at first, but luckily there were people there to help,” senior Eva Thor said. “For me voting was like a new milestone into adulthood because I have to vote for people who I believe could make responsible choices for our country.”

As presidential elections are important occasions in American society, first-time voters like Thor acknowledge the importance of this specific election.

“All presidential elections are important, but with the country divided and a worldwide pandemic looming over the American people, we need to vote for a president who can do a better job of taking care of these two situations,” Thor said. “I do believe that the voter turnout for the 2020 election is greater than the turnout for the 2016 election because of Covid-19. Everyone is affected by this virus, and everyone wants society to go back to normal. The only way for us to ensure this is to vote for a president who can effectively help put a stop to this virus.”