One on One with Dr. Bailey

The new TMHS principal goes in depth on who he is and how he performs his job.

This+year+Tomball+memorial+got+a+brand+new+principal.+

Hallie Stewart

This year Tomball memorial got a brand new principal.

Hallie Stewart, Editor

For the past few years, students and staff alike have been presented with new notable circumstances that have made an impact on our community. From a global pandemic with virtual learning to navigating through new territory with Schoology to finally attending school face to face without being forced to wear a mask, we have been through plenty. Luckily, we also have a new principal who can guide us through these eccentric times.
“I was a football coach and teacher for eleven years at many different high schools. My first year being in an administrator’s position, I was at a junior high. I prefer to be in a high school though because I enjoyed it the most, so when I had the chance to become a high school principal, I rushed for the opportunity,” Bailey said. “Being a principal at a high school level is challenging, especially when the school’s population consists of twenty-eight hundred students. I am a firm believer that every day presents a new set of provocations, and although it may be tough, at least tomorrow will be a new day.”
Just like any other position of leadership, being a principal requires the ability to effectively do what is best for the students and staff around them and making tough choices and decisions that would positively affect the school.
“The job of a principal is to put the needs and interests of the students first because we are here for students to get a quality education, and we need to prepare them. Once they graduate and join the adult world, they have the skill set and the tools to be a successful person regardless of whether they go to college or not,” Bailey said. “I need to make sure that we have the right people in the building that can help build a strong foundation for our students. That is the biggest piece of being a campus principal, making the right decisions that are best for the school, even though it may not be what people want to hear or may not be what’s wanted at the time. It is easy to do what is most popular, but what’s popular is seldom the right thing. There are a lot of difficult decisions that have to be made, but as long as those decisions are being made in the best interest of the students and faculty, everything will run smoothly.”
Dr. Bailey has had experience with leading a school to new heights. “I got the opportunity at two different places to achieve great accomplishments. One time when I was a campus principal, the school that I was in was named a professional learning community (PLC). That was an amazing experience because it took all the students, staff, and the community to achieve. We went from being a school that was underperforming to a campus that was one of the top-performing schools in that district. It was just a rewarding experience,” Bailey said. “The key to building student success is to make sure that everyone on campus is getting a foundational education, not only for college, but for life as well. We need to make sure that we are not doing the bare minimum and to strive for something that makes us a little uncomfortable. I believe that if you are not uncomfortable, then you are not challenging yourself. However, that does not mean that a person should make themselves so uncomfortable that they are getting stressed out. It’s important to be just outside your comfort zone so that you can improve and get better as each day passes. I can proudly say that I have seen that type of drive at this school.”
Each principal is different in terms of how they run the school; they have more strict principals, while others are more laid back. Principal Bailey is a healthy mixture of both, allowing students to express themselves, but making sure they do so within school guidelines. “Everyone should enjoy their time in high school because it does go by fast, I know that it is not always the easiest time, but it is a time that students will make a lot of lifelong memories that will shape them into model adults.”