Navigating crowded halls

Back to Article
Back to Article

Navigating crowded halls

Students clamor through the hallways toward class on the first day of school. “It’s like being stuck in traffic,” sophomore Katelin Callahan said. “You can feel everyone else’s body heat, and someone’s always breathing down your neck and bumping into your backpack.” The additional construction planned for 2020 was intended to accommodate the oversized student body.

Photo by Jill Chumley

Photo by Jill Chumley

Photo by Jill Chumley

Chloe Carter, Staff Writer

Once the bell rings to signify the end of class, thousands of students pour into the hallways, each with their own agenda. Every kid is rushing to get to their own class, and by the middle of passing period, the hallways are filled with students shoulder-to-shoulder, backpack-to-backpack, practically gasping for air. However, a dose of simple etiquette can easily alleviate the discomfort of this situation.

Many students use their short six minute passing period to catch up with friends and kill time before class, delegating meeting spots along the halls and crowding what little extra space exists. However, if more students would focus on heading to class rather than seeing their friends, the hallways would be much less congested.

Large groups of people standing still and stopping the flow of traffic are one of the biggest causes for chaos in the hallways. It would be more beneficial for all students if people chose to meet before or after school rather than between classes, not to mention leave more time for quality conversation than the fleeting six minute passing period.

Another good way to reduce heavy traffic in the halls is by taking back staircases whenever possible. The back staircases are easier access than the main stairs and offer more breathing room than the main hallways. A trip from English to math can be much more comfortable with a trip up the back stairwell and a casual stroll across the comfortably uncrowded upstairs halls as opposed to being shoved and trampled all the way down the main hall. The quiet of the back hallways also lends itself to easier hearing of one’s music if they wear ear buds and easier conversation if they walk with a friend.

If students would consider these simple plans to alleviate the chaos of the main halls, the school would be a safer and more comfortable place. In case of an emergency, it would be easier for students and staff to reach the exits of the school with the halls less congested. Kids could reach their classes without getting stepped on or shoved into another student’s armpit, and everyone could move faster and enjoy the passing period.