Remote learning in place of the classroom

Isabelle Keever, Print Editor-in-Chief

With chaos sweeping the nation causing panic and frantic preparation, remote learning seems like the clear path to take when considering the safety of students and faculty. However, much like the virus is to society, moving to this method is uncharted territory for the school district. Online class has never been a main form of education for the schools, let alone the sole form. With this in mind, Tomball has shown perseverance and competence so far in this new time.

In my experience teachers have kept connection through both Google Classroom and Remind, posting assignments to finish throughout the week. Utilizing programs students already feel familiar with makes for a much swifter adjustment and seems successful so far. I’ve also had teachers use programs like Google Hangouts to answer specific questions over the material. Since keeping regular class time to finish assignments is not possible, most of the class work is given Monday, due Friday. This flexibility not only cuts down unnecessary time spent, but allows for completion regardless of students’ schedules.

Many of the classes I take are AP courses, causing a lot of worry in my mind about whether or not I would be fully equipt to take the test at the end of the school year. However, teachers for these classes seem to have a plan to still see success on these exams. Fortunately the College Board adjusted for the issue at hand and created all online AP tests. Though fears of cheating have circulated the media, not much else could be done to still allow students to earn their college credit they already paid for. For every test available, the Advanced Placement program has posted and will post review videos on their YouTube account. These are easy to access and helpful for students looking for extra review for their exam.

In the midst of a crisis, the Tomball district acted quickly and efficiently in switching students over to remote learning, a new concept for everyone. Though no replacement for teachers in the classroom, so far things seem to work fairly smoothly, proving that the district has great capability when it comes to continuing education in any situation. Knowing this now, implementing some forms of online learning could greatly benefit students in years to come, allowing for schedule flexibility and more efficient education.