Gridiron Gander: Klein Forest susceptible to Zone Reads, expect Wildcats to capitalize

Tomball Memorial looking to capitalize on Klein Forest’s weak rush defense

Jill Chumley

Tomball Memorial is stringing together quite the season. They face a speed bump Friday in the Klein Forest Eagles

Adeen Rao, Staff Writer

The Wildcats look to inch closer to their goal of the first undefeated season in school history in their matchup tonight against the Klein Forest Eagles, who are currently undergoing a five game losing streak.

Looking at common opponents, Klein Forest has lost to teams that have been on the losing end of their games vs. the Wildcats. The list includes Tomball, Klein Cain, and Klein, who collectively have outscored the Eagles 153-47.

The Eagles have had a tough time stopping the run this season. In the last five games, the Eagles adversaries have only surpassed 10+ attempts once, totaling out at 7.8 pass attempts per game.

As far as scheme is concerned, offensively the Eagles are your typical high school run-pass-option team, a recurring theme in the Wildcat’s district. Wildcat linebackers senior Haydon Davis, senior Jad Oestrike and senior Alex Edmondson need to be weary of the Eagles’ blockers pulling out from their spots and closing tackling gaps, as the majority of the Eagles’ big plays come from such situations.

The team will likely hone their passing game. Whether the signal caller will be senior Joseph Manjack or senior Colton Marwill is unknown, but either options require some fine tuning. Manjack could use throwing reps if Marwill’s injury is serious; Marwill could use some settling down coming off of whatever injury that has been ailing him since Oct. 9.

As far as the Wildcat’s running game is concerned, they should have a field day. In their last matchup Klein, it was strength vs. strength. Klein was likely the best rushing defense they have faced all season. Klein Forest is quite the opposite, allowing 334.4 yards per game on the ground alone. On the contrary, the Wildcats are accumulating 447.5 yards per game running the football. It’s not far fetched to assume that coming off a bye week, a healthy Wildcat offensive unit dominates a tired Eagles team.

Prediction: Wildcats 59-13 Eagles