Working for a Purpose

Clay Jacobs, Contributing Writer

With spring football right around the corner, athletes at Tomball Memorial High School will have the chance to impress collegiate level scouts. As acquiring a senior class draws nearer, the opportunity for college exposure becomes a reality for many students.

Finis Vanover, The athletic director and head football coach, has begun to communicate with scouts who are interested in visiting the school to look at our athletes.

“I’m expecting between 10 and 20 scouts to be present throughout our spring training,” said Vanover.

Spring training will begin the last week of April, and scouts will be allowed to visit a total of 20 days in May.

At the moment, the universities where the scouts will be coming from are unknown.  However, scouts from campuses throughout the entire United States are welcome to attend the spring training sessions.

“When scouts come to visit your school, and they become interested in a player, they will always ask a few certain questions,” said Coach Roberto Espinosa. “They’ll ask how does he practice? Is he a hard worker? Does he take plays off? And most importantly, how are his grades? There’s no use giving a player a scholarship if he is going to flunk out.”

With saying that, if a player has the ability, he will be noticed.

“I see quite a few kids here who have what it takes to make it at the next level,” said Espinosa. “Whether that level be Division One, Division Two, Division Three or NAIA, I can see that some have a chance.”

In order to impress the incoming scouts, students have already been working to get their bodies in the best shape possible.

“I always try to give 100 percent in everything I do,” said Reis Seggebruch. “I strive to be the best, especially in the weight room.”

Having a good mindset is half the battle when pushing yourself to the limits. Like Espinosa said, scouts want to see how hard you are willing to work to achieve your goals.

“I always try to outwork everyone in the weight room and allow myself to be coached. I just don’t want to look back and know I could have played better and left more on the field,” said DJ Catherman. “I have to give it my all every time.”