Men’s Basketball Changes Gears

Josh Hengst

Derek Christie and Trent Rosenauer, Contributing Writers

There’s a new head honcho here in the basketball program, along with a young energized assistant. Coaches Jon Sheppard and Tarence Davis are looking forward to a great season with talent that they have in front of them. This is Sheppard’s third year at as a coach. He came from Chapel Hill which is northwest of Houston where he coached for two years where he was a JV coach and varsity assistant. Sheppard decided to seek a coaching job in the Houston area to advance his career at a bigger school and so he could be closer to his family. Davis has been coaching for 10 years including this year. He coached at Claughton Middle School for eight years with a record of 140-21. He then joined the Spring High School coaching staff where he was a sophomore and assistant varsity coach.  Davis started working at Tomball Memorial in June during summer camp. Both men are excited for the opportunity to grow the basketball program as a whole. However, there will be some changes in this years game plan.

“Coach Sulamanji did a great job building the program but I’ve added a boot camp.”  said Sheppard.

Boot camp is a physical and mental two-four week program that builds of teamwork and leadership skills. These two coaches have similar goals.

“To become a powerhouse, be consistently in playoffs, and to be known for defense,” said Sheppard. Davis wants “to build a program that is respected and feared by other coaches.” The thing that is unique about these two men is that their coaching styles are very similar. Davis and Sheppard are both young, active, and vocal teachers of the game. They both have the same system

“His system is my system,” said Davis.