UIL Reassignment Revealed, Revealing District Competition for Next Season

Photo by Eduardo Herrera

Alanna Craige, Print Editor-in-Chief

On Thursday Feb. 1, the University Interscholastic League (UIL) released the district groupings of every high school in Texas.

Tomball Memorial will compete as a 6A school from now on, kicking off its inaugural 6A season against the following schools in District 14-6A:

-Bridgeland (Cypress-Fairbanks ISD)

-Bryan (Bryan ISD)

-Cy Lakes (Cypress-Fairbanks ISD)

-Cy Park (Cypress-Fairbanks ISD)

-Cy Ranch (Cypress-Fairbanks ISD)

-Cy Springs (Cypress-Fairbanks ISD)

-Cy Woods (Cypress-Fairbanks ISD)

-Langham Creek (Cypress-Fairbanks ISD)

This bracket is part of Region II-6A, the winners of which will face off against high schools from Dallas or Central Texas in playoffs.

Preseason football games will see the Wildcats take on Tomball and Klein.

“I’m very excited to see how we will compete against bigger schools,” junior Mason Touchett said.  “I never miss a home game.”

It might take a few years for the Wildcats to adjust to this new 6A label, as this school is much smaller in population than most of the competition.

“We were only 57 students above the 6A cutoff,” Principal Chad Smith said.  “So we will go from being one of the biggest 5A schools to one of the smallest 6A schools.  Once we have the numbers, though, it should be no problem for the athletic department.”

Football is not the only team playing these teams.  All sports teams will compete in District 14-6A.

“In soccer, we have done pretty well so far this season,” junior Angel Zeigbo said. “So I’m excited to face tougher teams, where most of the athletes play club soccer.”

This classification applies to not only sports, but academic UIL competitins as well.

“We should transition well into competing against bigger competition,” junior Giselle Jimenez said.