Wildcats oust Deer Park 69-35, enter 6A Top 25

Laurie Carrillo

Colton Marwill is currently throwing at a 73.2% completion rate, adding on to his 3,000+ yard season in 2019

Adeen Rao, Staff Writer

The Wildcats kicked off a two-game road trip with a matchup against Deer Park (0-2), looking to start 3-0 for only the third time in school history.

They came into the game averaging 59 points per game on offense, and somehow that ludicrous average increased as the Wildcats manhandled Deer Park 69-35 under the Friday night lights.

Typically, it’s the quarterback, the defense, the wide receivers, or the running back that most people will point to after a great performance. Friday night, it was Coach Wiesmann’s offensive line that earned their stripes, with multiple Wildcat touchdowns being monstrous gains with the runner finding pay dirt virtually untouched. The line deserves loads of credit for the Wildcats’ current rushing average of 429 yards per game.

“Those boys are working,” Coach Wiesmann said of his unit’s performance throughout this season.

Coach Sam Parker’s team has shown they can drive down the field in a blink of an eye, and Friday was no different, with three drives scoring on the first play. A lot of that can be attributed to senior quarterback Colton Marwill, who was 12/17 for 218 yards, 3 touchdowns and an interception. Marwill also added 102 yards rushing, the bulk of that total coming from a 76 yard touchdown off a read-option.

Those boys are working.”

— Tomball Memorial Offensive Line Coach Scott Wiesmann

Marwill did not rack up as much yardage as one would be inclined to believe in a 69 point performance as him and star Senior wideout Joseph Manjack were off the field for the entire 2nd half as the game was in the bag for the Wildcats, and the coaches took all precautions ahead of a huge matchup this Friday at Kyle Field.

For one drive, senior wideout Joseph Manjack lined up at quarterback and started off overthrowing a streaking target. The next play, Manjack took a 56 yard option to the house. In his own domain, Manjack had seven receptions on seven targets, 131 yards and 2 touchdowns. Manjack currently has 19 catches on 21 targets, 433 yards and 5 touchdowns on the season.

For the rest of the game, senior Colin Dunbar lined up at quarterback, but we mostly saw junior tailback Richard Rodriguez take the reins as far as the offensive workload was concerned. Rodriguez tallied 197 yards at 13.2 yards a carry and two touchdowns and an unfortunate fumble at the Deer Park 5 yard line.

Defensively, the night got off to a rough start as a Deer Park offense that came into the game struggling at 10 points per game already amassed 21 points early in the second quarter. The Wildcat defense needed to make a statement and they succeeded in doing so, only allowing 14 points for the rest of the game and picking up two turnovers, including a pick-six by senior Josh Ruiz.

As far as Deer Park is concerned, sophomore halfback Moe Canales was the standout player of the night. Racking up 134 yards at 7.1 yards a carry with 2 touchdowns, Canales put up an impressive performance in a situation where most wouldn’t, and I must say he gained my respect Friday Night.

With the victory, the Wildcats entered the Texas Division 6A Top 25 for the first time this season, ranking at #24.

UP NEXT: A rivalry game against the Tomball Cougars (3-0) at Kyle Field for the Patriotic Show