HOSA Brings Miles of Smiles

Emmalei Juvinall, Staff Writer

Recently HOSA took part in a Smiles Drive, a community service project to collect toothbrushes and toothpaste for children in need. HOSA has taken part in approximately seven charity projects this year.
“As a health care provider it is necessary to be a part of the community,” HOSA teacher Paige Owen said.
A few HOSA members volunteered their Saturday on Feb 22 to run a dental and first aid booth at the Canyon Pointe carnival, teaching younger children the importance of brushing teeth daily and demonstrating how to properly brush teeth. The toothbrushes that were collected were sent to a local charity for at risk children and teens.
“Prevention is a huge part in health care, and that’s our charity focus,” Owen said.
The HOSA group participates in various charity projects and takes up many volunteer hours. Even though it might seem like a little thing it can make a huge difference in someone’s life.
When the HOSA group got involved in the teens for jeans drive, their original goal was to collect fifty jeans. In the end they collected 215 jeans. These jeans were sent to local homeless shelters. The amount of jeans they collected was far more than they had originally expected.
“We were so happy and excited with the amount of jeans we had collected,” Owen said.
HOSA plans on doing many more future charity projects. On March 22 they are taking part in the cystic fibrosis walk. Cystic fibrosis is a disease that causes thick, sticky mucus to build up in the lungs, digestive track and other parts of the body. The purpose behind the walk is to raise money to find a cure for cystic fibrosis.
Students interested in the event can sign up in all lunches – five dollars to sign up and five dollars for a T-shirt. Further donations are greatly appreciated. For more information on the walk go to http://fightcf.cff.org/site/TR?pg=entry&fr_id=2301 or visit Mrs. Owen in room 1502.