The Kofi Experience

The Kofi Experience

Ryan James, Staff Writer

Africa is a mixing pool of countries with each of them being high on the population, and low on the money. Ghana definitely matches these features, and is where a student here used to call home.

Battalion Sergeant Major Kofi Boateng Jr. traveled here from Ghana and has made his way through the ranks in ROTC to become a very respected member.  His main focus since he joined the school has been in the Military and ROTC.

“ROTC is my life,” Boateng said.

Back in Ghana, the school system gave a lot more power to the teachers, thus making the students less powerful.  This, along with the lower education standards, caused the students to grow as friends together.

“The students over there,” Boateng said. “We were more close to each other as opposed to here.”

Upon joining the program, he had the structure and the look of a leader. Even on the first day, his stature and apparel showed that he was destined for the program.

“He looked very motivated,” lieutenant colonel Anthony Randle said. “He had that serious face from day one, he was determined for success.”

Although he had faced many hardships, Boateng is still trudging forward and trying to make the most of his life.

“He has a million dollar smile,” College and Career counselor Norma Phalon said. “That’s the thing that really impressed me about him. He definitely stands out.”

ROTC was introduced to Boateng in freshman year, and ever since then he has been hooked.  To become successful in ROTC, the recruit must have the heart, the courage, and the ability to be submissive to orders.

“Most people who start in ROTC don’t understand this,” Boateng said. “They drop out because they are too stubborn to listen.”

Boateng became the first person in the ROTC program to skip completely over Staff Sergeant, Gunnery Sergeant, and First Sergeant to become a Sergeant Major directly from Sergeant.

“He is the kind of kid that I can’t wait to see what he becomes as an adult,” Phalon said. “He is already an amazing young man and I’m anxious to see his full potential.”

His twin brother Kofi Boateng Sr. was born a few seconds before him and has been his friend and supporter forever.

“We may sometimes get mad at each other,” Boateng said. “But we kind of bond.”

After leaving high school, Boateng plans on being a tanker in the Marine Corp. He aspires to become the Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps as a final goal for later in life.

“It takes, I believe, 24 years of Experience,” Boateng said. “I will not leave the military until I become the Sergeant Major.”