Tailored to the media

Students create social media accounts to sell old clothes and more

Ore James

Junior Chloe Carter bought several pieces, including this jacket, from a student selling clothes on social media.

Isabelle Keever, Print Editor-in-Chief

Thrifting is taking over, becoming a major craze among students who choose to find unique pieces for cheap at resale stores. With a different approach to this trend, some students have gone to social media to sell their old clothes in what they call their ‘closets’.

“I decided to make my account when I was cleaning out my closet one day,” senior Lauren Kersh said. “I realized I could make money off of my clothes instead of just giving them away.”

After finding other accounts that did the same thing, Kersh felt inspired to make one of her own. So far she’s seen success with her Instagram profile.

“I’ve had a lot of success,” Kersh said. “I have made pretty good money from this.”

Though she hasn’t yet set up shop, sophomore Mai Tan plans to be creative with her account.

“A whole bunch of my friends sold stuff so I thought it’d be cool to try out,” Tan said. “I hope to sell things that could be functional and aesthetically pleasing.”

In the future when she has less to focus on with school, she wants to do more than just sell items from her closet.

“I want to be able to manage the account without a lot of stress,” Tan said. “I want to sell my own artwork and anything else I’m inspired to create.”

Besides just accounts on Instagram, there are apps dedicated to this same idea. Depop and Poshmark allow users to buy and sell both new and used clothes, shoes, accessories, etc. to other users on the app.

“Apps like Depop helped make this idea more popular,” senior Mason Rouser said. “It’s interesting that there are entire apps dedicated to this.”

Purchasing second-hand clothes and other items both provides a cheap alternative and a more eco-friendly option to buying from a retail store.

“In an age where we are becoming environmentally conscious, it is cool that social media is used to recycle clothes in this way,” Rouser said. “This is definitely a neat way to start up a small business and make money on the side for busy high school students.”