Ways to quell at-home boredom

Chloe Carter, Staff Writer

With little to do besides search through the dredges of Netflix and make conversation with their dogs, it’s a safe bet that high schoolers everywhere are experiencing record-breaking levels of boredom. Despite the fact that everyone is stuck indoors, these trying times have opened a lot of digital doors when it comes to opportunities for students to spend their time enjoyably and productively.

• Disney is offering a course about Imagineering: the creation of the attractions in the Disney Parks, from both creative and technological viewpoints. The course, entitled ‘Imagineering in a Box,’ is taught through Khan Academy and takes the learner through everything that goes into making an immersive, Disney-style theme park. The video lessons, which are narrated by actual Imagineers, are a behind-the-scenes look into how Disney Park attractions come to be, even for those not seriously considering making a living creating them.
  • A variety of Ivy League schools are allowing students to take online courses that previously cost money for free.
  • Every Saturday at 7 pm, New Orleans-based cover band Dysfunction performs over livestream on their Facebook page. The band plays mainly alternative and rock songs from the 80s and 90s, but are known to mix in more current hits as well. They take requests during the 2-3 hour livestream through the comments and accept tips through Venmo.
  • Netflix Party is a free chrome extension that allows users to watch a show or movie at the same time on separate devices so that people can still binge shows together, even when quarantined in different locations.
  • The Monterey Bay Aquarium offers livestreams of many of their exhibits including that of the glowing moon jellyfish, penguins, sea otters, turtles, and sharks. For land lovers, the San Diego Zoo is also offering livestreams of their inhabitants, like their giraffes, elephants, koalas, tigers, polar bears, and apes (including a new baby ape).
  • Museums across the world are offering virtual tours of their exhibits and artifacts, including the Louvre, the British Museum, the J. Paul Getty Museum, and the National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art in Korea. Additionally, Google Arts and Culture has documented over 2,500 virtual galleries.
  • For the adventurous, Yellowstone National Park has virtual tours of its attractions.
  • BroadwayHD, a streaming service that provides about 300 recorded Broadway performances, is now offering a 7-day free trial.