Students reflect on virtual vs. face-to-face schooling

Laurie Carrillo

Both face-to-face and virtual students have faced pros and cons this semester.

Hallie Stewart, Staff Writer

When Governor Abbott announced that all schools in the state of Texas would be open for the 2020-2021 school year, many parents and students were left wondering how they would attend school. This once in a lifetime situation has forced students to grapple with attending school in person or virtually, with some opting to switch at the end of the nine weeks.

Freshman Lindsey Stewart is one of the many students who chose to attend school virtually.

“I thought that attending virtual school would have been more beneficial to me since I am a diabetic. I also thought it would be nice to sleep in and not have to catch a school bus,” Stewart said. “But as the days went on, I realized that online school is the same if not worse than going to school face-to-face. Not only was I missing out on being a normal freshman, but I also missed being around my friends and having a social life.”

Stewart isn’t the only online student who feels that way. Junior Amya Leggs is another student who feels virtual school comes with pros and cons.

“Although it is nice to eat and nap whenever I want, being at home makes me procrastinate more often,” Leggs said. “The teachers online give us until midnight to complete assignments, which makes me think that I have a lot of time to chill before I get started on my homework. By the time I do get started, it is already 7 pm.”

Junior Nathan Frick is one student who didn’t need to think twice about picking face-to-face school over virtual.

“At school, most of the assignments given to us are due at the end of the class period, so you know you have about an hour to get your work done,” Frick said. “Even though wearing a mask all day can be pretty annoying, I like knowing exactly when my assignments are due without having to navigate through Schoology.”

Another student who felt strongly about attending school face-to-face was sophomore Hayden Landry.

“For me, attending school online meant that teachers wouldn’t be able to help me right away if I had any questions on the assignments. It also meant that I would be stuck at home, unable to talk to my friends,” Landry said. “I knew that most of my friends would be at school and knowing that made my choice between online school and face-to-face very easy.”

However, not everyone who is attending school in person feels the same way as Frick and Landry. Senior Deepali Rao, who chose to go to school in person, believes virtual schooling offers certain advantages.

“The students that are virtual have more time and resources to get their work done,” Rao said. “When we finished school last year, we did it virtually and I felt like I was able to do my work more efficiently, also it was not as stressful for me to do.”

Rao also feels that while there are advantages and disadvantages to both, students are still trying to stay positive for the end of the year.

“Despite everything that we’re going through, we should always be optimistic that society will return to normal,” Rao said.