Adjusting to Schoology

Laurie Carrillo

Students and teachers began using the learning management system Schoology this school year.

Janiya Turner, Staff Writer

This year, the district began using the Schoology platform for teachers and students to communicate and turn in assignments. Navigating Schoology became one of the biggest new adjustments for students and teachers, and over the past seven weeks, students and teachers have observed variations in the reliability of the platform.

As teachers only gained access to Schoology in the summer, and students did not have access until fall, getting used to Schoology provided a significant learning curve.

“Schoology  has a lot of great potential but the usual training time for both teachers and students is supposed to be over the course of six to nine months,” chemistry and aquatic science teacher Katherine Ghosio said. “Due to a unique situation, we all had to hop on to it as if we are masters instead of gradually learning the learning management system.”

In addition to having less time to adjust to the platform, sitewide errors have caused occasional disruptions.

“There have been times when Schoology goes down and that is really frustrating, but I expected it to happen every once in a while,” math department chair Christine Kilcoyne said.

For face-to-face classes, however, teachers have observed that Schoology makes it harder to fall behind.

“When I have face-to-face kid that is absent, they can just go into my Schoology course and keep with class,” Kilcoyne said. “They don’t have to fall behind.”

For virtual students, Schoology has had different effects on students.

“One thing that’s frustrating is that most of my teachers never really interact with me,” senior Sara Robinson, a virtual student, said. “I completely understand that they’re busy, but I miss that interaction a lot.”

Though many have been getting used to Schoology’s features, most have seen less issues with the platform over time, and students and teachers hope to stay on track for a smooth year.

“Those who are patient, good with troubleshooting, and open-minded are probably enjoying it very much,” Ghosio said.