Virtual students deal with in-person activities

Laurie Carrillo

Band students warm up before rehearsing this year’s show at practice. A number of students in band and other activities chose to both learn at home and attend practice in person.

Kennedy Durham, Staff Writer

With their decision to learn virtually, some students were faced with the choice of whether to participate in extracurricular activities face-to-face or online.

As the beginning of the school year grew closer, a number of the virtual students decided to stay involved in their activities in person.

Senior Kevin Garner, left guard on the varsity football team, chose to stay home and learn virtually but continue playing football.

“What motivated me was my parents,” Garner said. “I told them this year that they wouldn’t need to pay for college and that I would go out and earn a scholarship for them.”

Sophomore Abygale Regalado, french horn player in the Roarin’ Blue Band, also decided to learn online but still march for the band.

“It’s definitely different but good at the same time because when you’re home alone there’s no one to talk to or see or interact with,” Regalado said. “So it’s definitely nice to have someone to talk to and interact with during rehearsal.”

Because of the pandemic, extra precautions have been made by band directors and football coaches.

“Whenever we’re moving from set to set they tell us to put our masks on,” Regalado said, “Or when we’re going to get water to put our mask on.”

According to Garner, football is taking similar steps.

“So far right now football has been giving everybody masks,” Garner said. “You have to bring your own water bottles, and we try to do our best to keep our distance.”

Despite unusual circumstances, many extracurricular activities found ways to follow the act of social distancing to keep the students involved safe.

“Of course we try to maintain social distancing when we’re working,” student council advisor and FCCLA sponsor Irma Sibert said. “When we have after school activities and we have snacks we have to sanitize our hands and the surfaces, and social distancing is super important during that time because that’s when people have their masks down.”

Although changes require new adjustments, organizations like STUCO continue even with the major differences.

“I think that students need something that feels close as to normal as possible,” Sibert said. “It was never an option to not continue student council because they do so much for the school, even if it’s the little things I feel like they make a difference in the student body and in the atmosphere of the school.”

With the modifications of this school year and social distancing, many students feel extracurricular activities bring people closer together during these difficult times.