Clubs discuss activities and fundraising for the fall semester

Laurie Carrillo

National Honor Society members discuss plans at their first meeting after school in the library. The club’s fall induction ceremony took place one week after the meeting.

Cindy Nguyen, Staff Writer

The late start to the school year brought new policies and rules, leaving various clubs to accommodate their fundraising plans and activities for the fall semester.

Organizations such as choir, Key Club, and National Honor Society faced obstacles in these first weeks of school. However, unfazed by these limits, they show resolve, determination, and fortitude.

“First of all, starting off the new year is hard anyways because we have to start everything up,” junior and Key Club secretary Vibha Reddy said. “Now it’s different; we have to think of new ways members can get hours and opportunities and include everyone both face to face and virtual.”

Key Club held their introductory meeting on September 17 and two weeks later held their first general meeting. Officers film meetings early in the morning and post it on Schoology. Recently, they’ve worked on Hurricane Laura donation relief, though Key Club still faced conflicts in their plans.

“Every single semester, we used to make it mandatory for each officer to attend a social,” Reddy said. “This year, it’s not mandatory anymore because we don’t know if we would be able to do socials.”

Choir also isn’t able to do socials, and the officer team instead proposed possible virtual socials in order to accommodate the change. The social chairs and publicity team came together to figure out how to include the virtual kids in their socials.

“It’s a lot harder because three of the officers are virtual,” Rachal said. “It’s really a challenge but I think we’re going to overcome it since we’ve been through a lot.”

These socials also act as fundraisers. A percentage of the money earned goes to the club to fund projects like banquets or in Key Club’s case, Dcon or District Convention, an end of the year competition.

“Not only do the members put a lot of effort into it but it’s a really good way to socialize with other key clubs around the state,” Reddy said. “If we raise money, that’s what it would go towards.”

Despite complications, fundraising is not an issue for most clubs. Many events like spring trips might not happen, so funds aren’t as needed.

“This year is supposed to be out-of-state but I severely doubt we’re able to go to California like we’re supposed to,” Rachal said. “Fundraisers happen so that people wouldn’t have to pay their trip in full. Since we’re probably not going to do that I don’t think it’s as big of a deal.”

Tancy Juliano, English teacher and sponsor of National Honor Society, Cats for Christ, and Best Buddies, has no plans to fundraise in any of her clubs for the fall semester.

“Each club was doing fine when we left it,” Juliano said. “We didn’t have our banquets so we left our funds sitting where they were at for all three organizations. I think that it’s better to take those funds and apply them to the kids and the socials.”

It’s really a challenge but I think we’re going to overcome it since we’ve been through a lot.”

— Senior Raynin Rachal

National Honor Society was able to add more students to the invitation list for this fall induction ceremony.

“I definitely got more good out of it,” Juliano said. “Nobody likes to have to start the year with a deposit.”

Despite the need to readjust club policies and activities, choir will be able to hold their winter concert and a Disney-themed Pop Show is likely to happen as well.

“That’s what I’m hoping I get to do,“ Rachal said. “If I don’t get to do my last pop show, it’ll just break my heart.”

Key Club and National Honor Society teamed up to find an alternative for members to earn community service including the American Heart Association and the Alzheimer’s Association.

“Over the summer I did a lot of research, and along with Key Club, we came up with a comprehensive list of online community service opportunities and we sent it to our members,” Juliano said. “Members are not having any problems getting their community service points.”

She believes that her clubs’ futures, and success for this school year, depend solely on the hard work and dedication of the members of the student body.

“I’m a hands-off sponsor, “ Juliano said. “I truly believe that it’s a kid’s club and I let them run it. For the way I train them, it’s easy for me.”