Crayola Colors of Admissions

Aiden Gamble, Staff Writer

Black skin and dark hair with dark eyes.  Light skin, slender and blue eyed.  Sallow skin with black eyes and dark hair. Tan skin and long hair with dark eyes.  These are the general characteristics of the some of the most common races in America- both minority and majority. But that is just how our nation works- by dividing according to majority and minority.

No division is more prominent than the one existing in the classroom. African Americans and Hispanics, on average, tend to perform lower than kids of white or Asian origins.  Lower high school performance would tends to lower college admissions for a particular ethnicity because of either poor scores or utter disinterest, but due to affirmative action Hispanics and other minorities can gain a curve over their higher achieving counterparts.

“I think that race shouldn’t be as important,” junior Maanaasa Chitori said. “It [admissions] should be based on merit.”

Merit- things such as community service, grades, class rank and even extracurricular talents and activities-still plays a tremendous role in enrolling for higher education, but can occasionally be overshadowed by race.

That is Abigail Fischer’s reasoning to sue the University of Texas- a lawsuit that can decide the fate of affirmative action in United States college applications once a ruling is pronounced.  The question of the lawsuit: If two students have equal grades, community service, and are both equally talented, should race decide who gets the seat in the classroom?

“I don’t think so, “junior Shaina Baptiste said. “Race doesn’t really determine your intelligence or your work ethic. The whole thing is really just irrelevant.”

Racial educational performance  in high school further on the race equals intelligence beloef  Certain minorities are seen as sub-par when it comes to intellectual pursuits.

“I want to attend Mary Hardin Baylor or maybe even Virginia Tech, “Baptiste said. “Yeah, I’m black, but that doesn’t mean that I’m stupid. Stereotyping people because of their color is ridiculous.”

However, the belief that Hispanics or African American students are ‘unintelligent’ actually ends up helping college hopefuls get into the college or university of their dreams. Many colleges have to fill a certain percentage of each race to be considered ‘diverse’, however; again, this is a main issue in college admissions.  What will happen to college diversity if affirmative action is removed?

“Diversity would go down, “Chitori said. “But it’d make people work harder to succeed and then we’d have a more intelligent college community.”

Baptiste also agrees with Chitori’s view on the importance of educational drive in both the applications process and in college education. As an African American student, she supports affirmative action because can play in her favor when it comes to applying to colleges during her senior year. Despite her favor towards it, she refuses to believe that she may be denied entrance into a university because of the tone of her skin.