The News Site of Tomball Memorial High School

Tomball Memorial Post

Tomball Memorial Post

Tomball Memorial Post

Polls

What part of being Back to School excites you the most?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Stories by Month
Want to share a story idea, contribute an opinion or give us feedback? Contact us at [email protected]

Marching To The Music

Wildcat Theatre Puts on Meredith Wilson’s “Music Man”
Grace Wilson

Guys and Dolls, The Sound of Music, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Fiddler on the Roof. All categorized as golden age musicals. The Wildcat theater’s production of Music Man is worthy to be put right up alongside them. Working together with the entire music department and partnering with students and staff from Oakcrest, Northpoint, Grand Lakes, and Willow Wood, the theater program produced the show on a grand scale.

A dance-heavy show compared with past years, Music Man truly tested the performers. With the help of choreographer and Willow Wood dance teacher, Mrs. Connie Johnson, the dance numbers in the production were polished into show-stoppers. With Silver Star Annelise Garrison and actor Matthew Jurado in the spotlight during most of the dance numbers, they really were a sight to behold. The two young “lovers” pulled out tricks sure to amaze the audience, leaving everything out on the stage.

As far as range, in both emotion and vocal, Catie Seal and Kellen Highfield cannot be matched but by each other. Seal’s solos throughout the show could bring a tear to the eye of the stoniest heart, and Highfield never fails to make the audience fall in love with his character. While Seal enchants audiences with her melodic voice, Highfield charms them with his dazzling newfound tap dancing talents. All the actors clearly put in tons of work to attain and grow in skills they did not previously possess.

If there was ever a question of certain performer’s strengths, it did not come from the casting panel. The panel of teachers casting- R. Bryce Ballew, Jed Ragsdale, and Jordyn White- knew exactly how to utilize each student to put on the best production possible. A great example is the quartet, or “school board members,” Zachary Carroll, Julius Hernandez, Colin Pinkasavage, and Andrew Tripp. Their musical numbers throughout the performance could only be described as seamless.

The children are not to be forgotten, either. The middle schoolers in the district surely show a bright future for our theater program. Quince Thambanchacheep and John Spiess, who both play shy little Winthrop Paroo, captured the audience’s hearts. The singing voices of Ava Hale and Sophie Pruitt, who both play Amaryllis Paroo, are spectacular. Not only are they all absolutely adorable, but extremely talented.

The few wardrobe and technical malfunctions on opening night were handled with extreme grace and dignity and were likely not noticed by most. The dance scenes were very clean and wonderfully put together. A crowd-favorite, as far as scenes go, Shipoopi clearly took the title. The audience loved the dancing and the comedy involved. Sophomore Charlie Giddens, who played Marcellus Washburn, was a regular showman. When he danced and sang, the theater lit up with smiles.

Devin Luckey, who played Mayor Shinn, drew nothing but laughs from the crowd. The mayor’s wife, Eulalie Mackecknie Shinn, was played by Ozaze Asuen. She delighted audiences with her hilarious high-and-mighty attitude. Their scenes were full of giggles, and were definite crowd-favorites as well.

A personal favorite was the library scene. The chemistry between “Marian the Librarian,” played by Catie Seal, and Harold Hill, played by Kellen Highfield, was undeniable. The musicality of the scene was different from other scenes, but added depth to the performance, and the complexity of the choreography raised it to a surprising- but impressive- level.

Overall, this production will be one for the records. So, if you are waiting for a reason to go see it, wait no longer. The show brings nothing but joy and would be a great one for the whole family. The Wildcat Theater put on a performance that ensured the auditorium will be packed every night the show runs.